Monday, October 17, 2011

An Ode to Friends

I have some really amazing people in my life. I am so blessed to have not just one but five people I have truly connected with and have been able to hold such meaningful relationships with. My best friends are scattered all over the country but never too far from when I need them. I hope with some true investment, these friendships will last at least 40 years, if not more.

Daniela at SMU
Jeanette in Italy
My two oldest friends are Daniela and Jeanette. I met Jeanette at Los Fresnos Junior High - we were 12 and as scrawny as could possibly be. I met Daniela at Besteiro Middle School in Brownsville, TX. We met in band. (Makes me laugh to think so.)
I am so happy to say that even through all these years and as many times as we have moved, we never lost touch with each other. There is lots of BBMing, constant emailing, and of course our dear Facebook. I am so proud of both of these beautiful ladies as they are extremely accomplished business-woman. Chatch, (a childhood nickname that to this day I am not quite sure how it originated) currently lives in Dallas, TX. And Nettie (who is currently working on a record, keeping my fingers crossed for her) resides in Miami, FL. They both have very promising futures. But they are also both so busy that we can never end up in Brownsville at the same time to visit with each other. It has been many years since I have seen either of them. I am trying to plan trips to see them both and so they can finally meet C.J.  But God-willing a visit will not be too far in the future.


Matt & Me - 2005
My dear Matty. I met Matt in 2003 after I moved to Greenville, SC. We have a funny relationship in which it is just our way to insult each other at every meet and greet. Yet we both know it is out of love. Here is a guy that always keeps a smile on my face. Our friendship has always been one of being straight-forward with each other - I appreciate that a lot. I never had to "walk on eggshells" with Matt. If it bothered me, I let him know. And he of course, does not have a censor button, so it works out great. Matt has been and will always continue to be a big part of my life. He currently lives in Jacksonville, FL but we've managed to stay connected and visit many times during the years. We've had great Thanksgiving's spent with his entire family in Greenville and he visited with us while we lived in Charleston and we have also traveled to Jacksonville to see him. He made me so happy one year because he came up to Charleston from Jacksonville, basically just for a day, to attend my Baby Shower. It was a great surprise! He was my big helper. :) We haven't seen each other since 2009 but we are planning a get together for maybe next summer. Either way, we're never short of a text message.

Jessica and I in Georgia
Now here is a relationship that has definitely seen its ups and downs. But through it all, has only made it stronger. It doesn't matter what has happened between us, our bond could never truly be broken. We've both been through hell and back and have only come out wiser, more resilient, and most grateful. I met Jessica also in February of 2003 first as roommates - by chance, then became friends - by choice, and finally met the bonds of sisterhood. Our relationship did quickly see some turns for the worst but we are proof of what deceitful manipulation and hurtful rumors can do. We believe we've been able to bounce back from so many "break-ups" because we shared so many happy, wonderful memories as well. When we both look back into our early 20's, there isn't a happy memory that we don't have of each other. Even things today will make us think of one another and we have to let the other one know. As complicated as our friendship may seem to others, to us, it's not. We've managed to put all our past history behind us and that is what matters. We are both in such loving places in our lives right now. She is newly married with a beautiful baby girl, they currently live in Greenville, SC. It is nice to know that we can share these moments with each other. We check in with one another at least once every other day and allow our friendship to continue to grow. I am happy to still have her as my friend.

With Koren on my 25th Birthday
I met this lovely lady in 2006 while working at Wachovia in Greenville, SC. Something inside us just instantly clicked and we have been great friends ever since. In just 5 little years, our friendship has become one of the most important aspects of my life. We have seen each other grow as wives, then as mothers - I am so grateful to have been a part of so many of her important life moments and that she has been a part of mine. She is the first person I call at a moments' notice; day or night, we are there for one another. She currently lives in Jersey Shore, PA and I have been lucky enough to visit the last 2 years. I pray that our families will continue to grow up together as they have. Aside from our connection, our husbands have also managed to form a good friendship as well. Erick and Brad got along so well from the beginning simply by their palate for good beer and cigars. And our kids, Ellie and C.J. may have a current Love/Hate relationship, after all they are only children, we know that one day they will be great pals as well. I am excited to think of how we will all continue to grow, not just as friends anymore, but as family. I have been so blessed by her friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment