Sunday, January 8, 2012

Scary Times

What is wrong with the world and the people in it???
It is scary to read the paper or Internet and watching the news channels are just depressing to have to listen to all the immoral acts that are done. I am awed by the crimes that people commit. It's a wonder that we don't just lock ourselves up in our homes and never come out.

I currently live in Houston and to me this is one of the scariest places to be. I am astounded by the crime rate here! Everyday I hear of so many awful things that I am persuaded more and more each day to move. There are many other cities worse than it; Houston didn't even make Forbes' Top 10 of America's Most Dangerous Cities in October. But I don’t live anywhere else, I live here. Unfortunately, I already had a little scare not too long ago:

I headed home, with my son mind you, at around 11 pm at night after being at a friends house celebrating our early Christmas. As I came around the parking lot into my condo, I saw a guy in a gray hoodie crossing the parking lot. I watched as he stopped on the sidewalk next to one of the buildings and then just stared at my car as I passed by. I could see him the entire time as I turned the corner towards my place. When I got to my parking spot, I turned off my car but I felt uneasy so I waited in the car. Then I see the guy come around the corner and just stand there. I don't know if he was waiting for me to get out or what. Then a couple minutes pass and he starts walking toward me, so I turned on my car and drove off.
I called the cops and told them what happened. I told them I didn't want to get out of my car because I had a toddler with me. I waited up front by our office and a cop arrived like 5 minutes later. He drove around and then I drove back to my building and waited for him to come around again before I got down. It was a very freaky situation for me! I ended up calling up my friends to let them know and they came back for me and my son to take us back to their home.

Going through this type of situation, made me go out and buy a can of mace to carry with me at all times. I'm also thinking about a tazer or something. Because you just never know…

One city I am surprised to hear about when crime is announced is my hometown of Brownsville, TX. And yet lately it seems to be in world news more than we would like. This year has already started off really crappy for them.

Just a couple of days ago a 15 year old boy showed up to his middle school with what turned out to be a pellet gun. Only thing was it looked very much like a semi-automatic and after many requests by the police officers to, “drop his weapon,” the teenager was shot and killed.
Cummings Middle School Shooting

Now, I am reading some news and there was a shooting at the local mall after a fender-bender.
Sunrise Mall Shooting

I just don’t get it!!

I’m not sure what the child was thinking or why he didn't drop the gun when he was asked but with the men in the accident, if you call yourself a “man” then fight like one. Why must everyone resort to gun slinging?? When did we draw back to the Wild West???

It is insane already with the events that are going on in Mexican border towns with daily shootings, massacres, robberies all having to do with the Cartel but what makes it even worse is that these things are moving into the states as well…And I am sorry to say that, but that is honestly how I think of it.

These are not the only two incidents that have occurred in my hometown, there have been many others in the years past. I actually witnessed a crime when I was very young which is the reason behind my hating guns. It is just surprising that as years progress, it becomes more and more dangerous.

All I think about now is my son and the kind of world he is growing up in. It is amazing how your train of thought and way of living can change tremendously after you've had a child. All I can think about is his well-being.
I know I cannot live my life in worry so even through all the sadness and madness, I move forward - otherwise what is the point of living.

No comments:

Post a Comment